BENEFITS OF RECYCLING ALUMINIUM
- Recycling aluminium saves up to 97% of the water used in refineries to process ore into alumina.
- Recycling one kilogram of aluminium saves approximately 233 litres of water.
- Re-melting used aluminium saves up to 95% of the energy needed to
produce the primary product. Smelting alumina into pure aluminium is an energy-intensive process.
- Recycling on the other hand uses only 5% of the energy needed to smelt alumina into pure aluminium. Recycling one kilogram of aluminium saves approximately 14 kilowatts of energy. That’s the equivalent to powering a TV for 204 hours.
- Aluminium can be recycled over and over again without loss of properties.
Preserves landscapes. Reducing the need to extract bauxite (ore) out the ground. Recycling conserves soil integrity, wildlife habitats that are otherwise destroyed in the aluminium extraction process.
- Valuable aluminium is diverted from landfill and stays in the loop for the manufacture of new products.
- Recycling creates jobs in the collecting and sorting of recyclables.
- Recycling conserves precious natural resources for future generations.
- Another social benefit is water conservation. Refineries are located in areas where water is scarce.
- Recycling is a solution to conserve more fresh water for the people who need it.
- Recycling conserves precious natural resources for future generations